Democratic Nebraska Senate candidate Bob Kerrey has called on Republican Deb Fischer to sign a pledge to not to use super PAC monies in their Senate campaigns. According to Nebraska.Watchdog.org, about $2 million has been spent by conservative super PACs (specifically American Crossroads and Americans for Prosperity) with much more sure to come over the next three months.
I think this is a good idea by Kerrey. Almost all super PAC ads are misleading, slanted, or are outright lies – both sides. Most voters have no idea which people (or corporations) are pumping the money into these funds with patriotic names – or what those people/corporations will ask for in return when their candidate is elected/purchased.
I also think this is a PR stunt by Kerrey, as we’re more likely to see 8″ of snow tonight (current temp: 99 degrees) than a candidate-requested decrease in super PAC attack ads.
Here are 10 things Deb Fischer’s campaign will do before agreeing to reject super PAC spending:
10. Refer to Kerrey as “Nebraska Bob”.
9. Propose a tax on Husker fans.
8. Admit that she was jealous of Debra Winger in the 1980s.
7. Promise to vote for anything supported by President Obama.
6. Give up her federal grazing subsidies.
5. Appear in a campaign ad wearing Pete Rickett’s red stocking cap.
4. Allow Deb to be tagged in those pictures from the 2009 Unicam Christmas Party.
3. Run from Nebraska’s Third District as a Democrat.
2. Wait for hell to freeze over.
1. Agree to a debate with Bob Kerrey.