Throughout the 2013 season, I’ll be ranking the Big Ten schools 1-12. Click here to see where your team was ranked last week.
Prepare to disagree…
- Ohio State. Buckeye kicker Drew Basil should be icing his leg now in preparation for all of the kickoffs and extra points he’ll attempt against Indiana’s horrific defense.
- Wisconsin. This year’s battle for Paul Bunyan’s Axe might be one of the most evenly matched contested in 10-20 years.
- Michigan State. Why is the (presumptive) Legends champ third? Having just watched Sparty in person, I’m not terribly impressed with them. Put it this way: if Nebraska reduces their five turnovers down to say, three, the Huskers are sitting in the #3 slot.
- Minnesota. Here’s a sentence I never thought I’d type in late November: the Gophers are still alive to win the division. Granted they must beat Wisconsin and Michigan State (and have Sparty lose to Northwestern), but stranger things have happened – like Minnesota having the third best record in the league.
- Nebraska. It’s 2003 all over again as Husker Nation is divided on if Bo Pelini should stay or go. But if the team isn’t ready to play against Penn State or Iowa (or has another five turnover game) the decision A.D. Shawn Eichort faces becomes a lot easier.
- Penn State. The home finale for the Nittany Lions and arguably their best chance to finish the season with a winning record.
- Michigan. Who is this team, and what have they done with Michigan Football?
- Iowa. In a normal year, Iowa’s best chance of beating Michigan would be to hope the Wolverines were looking ahead to Ohio State. This year it is more about whichever team shows up.
- Indiana. A fun two week stretch as the Hoosiers will see the best team in the conference (Ohio State) and arguably the worst (Purdue).
- Northwestern. At what point does the Northwestern narrative switch from being “unbelievably unlucky” to “just not that good”? The craziest part is with two wins (over Michigan State and Illinois) they could make the entire Legends Division bowl eligible.
- Illinois. Brace yourselves and avert your eyes as Illinois and Purdue clash in the Bottom Feeder Bowl. Personally, I’ll be rooting for Purdue just for the sake of preserving 0-7 Illinois vs. 0-7 Northwestern next week.
- Purdue. Okay Boilers, I’ve had you in the cellar all year long. Here is your chance to escape. Try not to trip, get lost, or walk into the wall.