One of the blogs I read posted these questions (with a different set of answers, ‘natch) earlier today. Since I’m a sucker for these Q & A things (and since this is a fairly easy way to get to my 12/31 six pack) here you go…
And you know the drill…feel free to play along if you wish.
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Yikes. First question out of the gate and I’m drawing a blank. Rest assured there were several new experiences for me this year. While some were as simple as “I’ve never before uttered the sentence ‘Please do not put that toy in your brother’s pants’.”, others were much more unique.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
No resolutions, per se, but I did set some goals for this blog, which is part of the reason why I’m borrowing this questionnaire. No resolutions planned for 2013.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes – my son’s birth mother. We haven’t had the chance to meet her yet, but hope to do so when she is ready.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
I did not leave the country this year. Hopefully that changes next year, as Mrs. Feit Can Write and I would like to spend a few days on a warm beach with cold drinks.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Disposable income. Sleep. Rain.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
My son was born on March 11, and we got the call about adopting him on March 12. We flew to Florida the next day, and I held him for the first time on March 13. The adoption was finalized on June 27.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Being a good dad to my kids.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Hmm…nothing comes to mind. That means I was either pretty damn good this year or I forget about my failures.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing besides a cold.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I’d like for this to be less materialistic, but since I’m otherwise drawing a blank, I’ll say my new HD TV. A nice upgrade from my 15-year-old 27″ set.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My daughter. She has made the transition from only child to loving big sister with surprising ease.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Politicians (of all parties).
14. Where did most of your money go?
Adoption expenses, car payment, and other household bills
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I went from being bummed about a failed adoption to having a beautiful and healthy son – in less than 36 hours. That’s rather exciting.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
“Home” by Phillip Phillips. Partially because it is a good song, and partially because it was everywhere.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
It’s like my 2012 was a big meal at an expensive restaurant: Happier, fatter, and poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spending more time with friends.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Changing diapers, washing bottles, other things that keep me away from my family.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Enjoying the magic of the season through the eyes of my four-year old daughter. She asked Santa for a “big box” and was thrilled to receive it. Any other gifts were gravy to her.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Yep. With a handsome black man.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
We finally started watching Modern Family, which is the laugh out loud show that I’ve been missing
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
A confession – the only time I read books is when I’m on vacation laying by the pool. Since that didn’t happen this year, I didn’t finish any books. But I read a number of good articles in Sports Illustrated.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Not really a new discovery, but I still very much love listening to The Nadas. Do yourself a favor and listen too.
26. What did you want and get?
I got way more than I deserved.
27. What did you want and not get?
I’ve got a pretty big list of things I “want”, but I can’t complain about not getting anything – especially since all of my “needs” are more than taken care of.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
We saw a lot of movies this year – which for us is three. Wreck-It Ralph was easily the best.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I celebrated the 38th anniversary of Richard Nixon’s resignation by spending the day relaxing at home.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
I’ve never previously described my “personal fashion concept”, but I guess I’d go with comfy-casual.
32. What kept you sane?
My wife and kids, Football Saturdays, taking 10 minutes for myself, Jim Beam & Diet Coke.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Are we asking which celebs I have the hots for? Hmm…there are lots of attractive celebrities, but no one person stands out.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The safe answer is “the entire election.” Since I don’t feel like stirring up a lot of trouble, I’ll stick with that.
35. Who did you miss?
36. Who was the best new person you met?
This is a cop-out answer, but I’ll say my son. I think he’s pretty great.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
Don’t get too low – Something good is always around the corner.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“Everyone can wake up / To a brand new day / The sky will come alive turning blue from grey” – The Nadas, New Year’s Eve